LinkedIn recently released a list of most in-demand jobs in 2021 and we wanted to focus on the skills undergraduate students can master in order to be recruited for these roles. We are living in uncertain times, the pandemic has had an impact on the way companies are recruiting – with many positions that earlier required one to be physically present turning remote, companies are getting applicants from around the world – thereby tremendously increasing competition. Acquiring key skills that companies are on the look for and completing multiple internships during your time at college are no longer a choice for the driven but a must for all.
Most In-demand Skills to Master in 2021
- Digital Marketing Skills: Digital Marketing roles saw a rise of 33% year-on-year and was the fastest growing space of all! 94% of all hires had a bachelor’s degree in information technology, computer applications or came from a business studies background. Recruiters seem to prefer students with basic coding knowledge.
The below skills along with basic requirements for the position will enhance your recruitment chances and give you an edge
- Scripting/markup (eg HTML, XML, Ruby)
- Google/Facebook Ads Certifications
- Data analytics
- Specialized Engineering Skills: Hiring for these roles grew by 25% year-on-year. There was a time when engineering meant civil, mechanical or electrical but the truth is many of the roles engineering students are being recruited for do not require them to have an engineering degree rather recruiters are looking for some very specific skill set! Jobs in the field of game development, web development, Front end developers are seeing the most growth.
The below skills are being looked at by recruiters –
- Front-end development
- Designing and using APIs
- Programming fundamentals
- Full-stack development
- Object-oriented programming
- Mobile development
- Server-side programming
- Automated testing
- Blockchain Specialist
- Cloud Native Development
- User Experience Professionals: Hiring in this space grew by 20% year-on-year. These roles over the last few years have combined design thinking and technology. More and more students interested in design are now learning programming skills and students with a background in coding are acquiring key designing skills. Jobs like User Experience Designer, Product Design Consultant, User Interface Designer, User Experience Researcher have an incredible demand.
Skills that recruiters are looking for in this space are
- Web design
- Interface design thinking
- User Experience Testing
As you can see many of the skills the most in-demand jobs of 2021 require are yet not fully taught in colleges. Very few courses focus on interface design, web design or train you to become a full stack developer. In the past few years, we have seen several students opting for certification programs to upskill and become more recruitable. However, many of these programs & program providers aren’t recognized by recruiters and do not help you stand out – students who have completed several of these certifications find themselves without a job after graduating. If you are looking for a program that can propel you career – check our ECA Internship’s Professional Job Guarantee Program. The guarantee means you get the job you deserve or you don’t pay!
Download Professional Job Guarantee Prospectus
While skilling up is important to improve your chances of being recruited one sure fire way to get noticed is to have work experience. Completing multiple internships at both mid-level and large organization gets you much needed real-world experience and helps you to attain new skills. Internships are great way to get noticed by the company that recruited you and other companies in the industry. At ECA Internships we have seen that over 65% of interns we place secure a job at the company they interned at or in the same industry. While the coming years might be tough to secure a full-time position for many it doesn’t need to be that way for you – act now.
Fill the form to get early access to new internship positions available on ECA Internships. With over 500 companies recruiting from our platform, we have new opportunities every day. Click here to fill the form.