Since the dawn of digitalisation, cyberspace has played a crucial role and is getting even more prominent. Today, thousands of people are opting for a cybersecurity career and taking computer science degrees. With the level of competition that prevails today, conceptual knowledge is incomplete without practical implications and here comes the role of internships program.
Cyber crimes have risen meteorically in recent times, and organisations tackling and resolving these crime scenes have expanded their scope of work. Graduates in computers provide an exclusive opportunity to experience what it is to work as a digital guardian and hone the skills required to succeed in this field. Cyber security in Australia is a great career to step in, as there is a high demand for technically skilled professionals.
At an individual level, a cyber attack can lead to identity theft, extortion attempts, and loss of personal data, for example, photographs, documents, etc. It can be fraud, data breach, corporate theft, etc. From power plants to police stations, schools to factories, almost every critical structure is subject to digital security.
Let us have a look at the various career opportunities in Cyber Security:
- Cybersecurity generalist: A person who has overall knowledge of all different categories in cyber security. He is commonly the jack of all trades, usually functioning in small-sized organisations.
- Network Security Engineer: These cyber personnel work to manage the network security for their organisations. They function primarily in more prominent organisations, ranging from managing firewalls, routers, VPNs, etc.
- Cloud Security Engineer: This involves providing cloud-based security services for organisations.
- Application Security Specialist: Their function pertains to protecting applications from any external or internal threats like viruses using a combination of hardware and software skills.
- Security Architect: These people work for designing, building and managing the fulfilment of network and computer security for a company.
- Malware/ Forensics Analyst: They are experts in detecting and resolving viruses.
- Cryptographers: They are responsible for encrypting sensitive information to ensure privacy and protection of important information. Encryption is nothing but converting pointers into codes to maintain the secrecy and security of the data.
- Cyber Security Engineers: They design, develop and implement network solutions to defend against cyber attacks.
There are various industries that provide cyber security internships for graduates. Let us see what these industries are:
- Banking Sector: This sector is constantly exposed to cyber-attacks and frauds as it works in a highly regulatory environment. Cyber security is crucial in protecting the banks and helping in developing the economy.
- Cybersecurity Lawyers: Nowadays, cybersecurity has become so crucial that specific laws have been framed to set a legal barrier toward cyber crimes. People looking for careers in cyber protection can specialise in information security to handle liability resulting from breaches.
- Utilities: Every utility of the country involves a clear and crisp cyber network to work in harmony with each other. Utilities can be water, electricity, etc.
Benefits Of Interning In Cyber Security
- Connect what you’re learning in the classroom
Theoretical knowledge is not complete if you cannot apply the knowledge in the practical world. Internships act as the bridge between theory and practice.
- Build a professional network
It applies to building a network with working professionals in cyber security. This network will help in the professional growth of a candidate.
- Being In A Corporate Setting
Working as a cyber security intern will expose how the cyber world works. It will help you gain professional knowledge of the field.As a profitable and growing field, the need for skilled cybersecurity professionals is expected to grow with each passing day. Start your journey by enrolling in IT internship australia and acquiring professional knowledge for a flourishing career.